Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Cairns Law Clearwater Divorce Lawyer
  • 5 stars based on 36 reviews
  • ~
  • Mon - Fri 8:30 am- 5:00 pm Evening and Weekend Appts Available
  • ~
  • 801 West Bay Drive, Suite 713, Largo, FL 33770

Largo Child Relocation Lawyer

In order for a parent with custody to move to a new city or state, they must first seek the approval of the other parent, as well as the court, when the move is greater than 50 miles as the crow flies from their current location. When they cannot get an approval from the other parent, they must proceed through the court, which can be difficult because in this scenario they would have to prove to the court that their move, and subsequent disruption of the current parenting plan, is in the child’s best interests. Whether you are the parent hoping to move, or you are the parent who is at odds with the other parent’s desire to move with your child, you need a Largo child relocation lawyer today.

Assisting Relocating Parents

While Florida’s population grew by 300,000 each year on average from 1960 to 2010, thousands leave our state every year, mostly due to financial reasons, according to My Palm Beach Post. When the job market is good, people come to Florida. When it is bad, they may end up leaving to be closer to family. No matter what your reason for wanting to move to a new city or state may be, an attorney can help you make it legally possible. If you plan on moving 50 miles or more, as the crow flies, for 60 days or more, you must obtain the following:

  • Written permission from the remaining parent;
  • Re-worked time-sharing plan that the other parent agrees with; and
  • Transportation plan to and from the moving parent’s home and the remaining parent’s home, if necessary.

Filing a petition with the court is the only legal way to get around the above requirements. The petition must include details such as the new address, telephone number, etc., as well as the following, as per statute 61.13001:

  • A written job offer if that is one of the reasons for the proposed move;
  • Proposed time sharing schedule; and
  • Proposed transportation plan.

Non Moving Parents Have Rights

One simple phone call or email can tip your world upside down when you get the news that the child’s other parent wants to leave the city, state, or even country. This will dramatically impact your ability to see your child, and you have the right to stop it from happening. You must show the court that moving, and essentially cutting off your contact with your child, is not in the child’s best interests. Countless studies have shown that having a consistent schedule with both parents is best for children’s development, emotional well being, and even physical health. It may or may not be true that the other parent has a good job offer or an opportunity to be with family if they move, but that comes at an enormous cost to your child, as well as to you.

A Largo Relocation Lawyer is Here to Help

Depending on which side of the relocation dispute you are on, the Largo relocation attorneys of Cairns Law, P.A., are prepared to negotiate with the other parent, file a petition, or fight back against a move that would essentially rip your parenting time away from you.Largo relocation attorneys of Cairns Law, P.A., are prepared to negotiate with the other parent, file a petition, or fight back against a move that would essentially rip your parenting time away from you. Call our Largo law offices today at 727-683-1472.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

If you have any questions or comments please fill out the following form and one of our representatives will contact you as soon as possible.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation