Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Cairns Law Clearwater Divorce Lawyer
  • 5 stars based on 36 reviews
  • ~
  • Mon - Fri 8:30 am- 5:00 pm Evening and Weekend Appts Available
  • ~
  • 801 West Bay Drive, Suite 713, Largo, FL 33770

Largo Modification & Enforcement of Final Judgements Lawyer

Child support, child custody, spousal support, and property division are all subject to a “final judgement” that is made or authorized by the court. These judgments must be strictly adhered to up until they are modified. As such, a final judgment does not have to be final, necessarily. After a length of time, a judgement that made sense originally may not be fair or even relevant. Because of this, modifications are common.


Custody is never set in stone. While one of the parents may have been an out-of-control alcoholic when the final judgement was made, and no visitation was granted, they may have turned their life around since then. This is just one example of how a custody or visitation judgement should and can be modified.

Support Payments

Child support needs to change as the child grows, goes to daycare, enters after school extra curricular activities, eats more, and does all of the normal things that kids do as they grow up. The child support given to a baby is likely not enough to support the needs of a preschooler, and the child support for a preschooler may not be enough for a teenager. Spousal support, or alimony, is also subject to modification. For example, if the spouse who receives the alimony needs more time to complete school, their rehabilitation alimony could be increased. On the other hand, because of a new tax law, spouses who pay alimony will no longer be able to take a deduction, according to the American Bar Association Journal, reducing their income and net worth in the long run and allowing for a modification to be made to pay less alimony.

Property Division

Property division is one of the most contested items in divorce. According to CNBC, 62 percent of the time, retirement accounts and pensions are the most fought over thing in a divorce. Did you receive an unfair judgement? While the final judgment of property division cannot be “modified,” per say, it can be contested. You can contest an unfair judgement by bringing your case to an appellate court for a second ruling, which an attorney can help you do.


There are many actions available for you to take if the other party is not carrying through on their end of the deal. If support payments are not met, for example, you can take strong legal action by requesting their wages to be garnished, their driver’s license to be revoked, or even for them to spend a night or two in jail.

Call Our Clearwater Modification & Enforcement Lawyers Today For Help

Here at Cairns Law, P.A., we assist clients who have had trouble with the other party’s commitment to certain judgments. We can help you enforce court orders, such as child support. Our services also include helping clients modify existing orders that should no longer exist as they are. After all, if you lost a job, how is it possible that you should pay the same amount of child support that you were once able to provide when the final judgment was created? Call our Largo law offices today at 727-683-1472 to speak to an attorney.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

If you have any questions or comments please fill out the following form and one of our representatives will contact you as soon as possible.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation